Monday, November 06, 2006

MIDTERM ELECTIONS--PLEASE VOTE!!!

Tunes that help to put me in a voting mindset: "I Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot, "Hold It Up to the Light" by David Wilcox

Midterm elections are Tuesday, November 7. We all have an opportunity to go to the polls and take part in our amazing democracy. Many races may be decided by a tiny number of votes...there are a lot of tight races this year, and your vote DOES count. Tuesday, November 7, has the potential to be an historic day. There is a wonderful possibility that we can make some changes in our national leadership, as well as in our local goverments. We can also support those that are serving honorably and ensure that they stay in office. But we can only do these things if WE VOTE.

It is nothing short of amazing to me that many Americans do not vote. I've never considered voting optional. Perhaps it was because I was raised by parents who always vote. Maybe it was growing up in the Washington, D.C. area, surrounded by the political machine. It might have had something to do with watching folks I supported, such as Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis, lose elections in which I was too young to participate. But for whatever reason, when I reached voting age, I jumped into the democratic process gleefully. I voted in my first midterm election, the 1994 race, by absentee ballot since I was attending college in another state. I was SO EXCITED to vote for President Clinton in 1996, my first Presidential election since turning 18. And I've voted in every election since then, Presidential and otherwise.

There's no doubt about it...midterm election years just aren't as exciting as Presidential election years. But excitement is not what it's all about. Making life better for everyone is the point here. Politicians, contrary to popular belief, do not occupy public office to entertain you. They are elected to get things done. Their work is supposed to benefit the citizens they represent, as well as their larger communities and the world. And they need to be held accountable. How do you hold a politician accountable? With your vote. Voting for them says "good job so far" or "I believe you can do a better job than any of the other candidates." Not giving them your vote, and, thus, giving that vote to someone else, gives them a big thumbs down, and quite possibly sends them back to private life (or keeps them there in the first place).

So what about not voting at all? This says "I don't care what direction our country and world are headed" loud and clear. Democracies only work if the people living in them participate in the democratic process! I am quite sure that everyone reading this blog has opinions about the issues that our politicians address...the war in Iraq, the situation in Afghanistan, rising health care costs in the U.S., the state of public education, the environment and the potential global warming crisis, not to mention a host of other things that may be particular to your state or community. If you have opinions, then you need to vote! For every issue on your mind, you probably have a corresponding feeling that the man or woman currently in power is addressing this adequately or he/she is not. If you think the folks in office are doing their jobs well, vote for them. If you think they're slacking on the job, give someone else a chance. But please express an opinion one way or the other. This year, there is too much going on to sit home on Election Day. There are problems that need solutions. There are good people ready to do the work that needs to be done. But they need your support to do it. Isn't all of their years of public service worth a few minutes out of your day for one trip to the polls? I believe that it is. PLEASE VOTE!

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, if you do go to the polls on November 7. For whom you vote is your business ... that is for your brain and your conscience to work out. I just thank you for thoughtfully and deliberately participating in the process and making our country a real democracy. Yay!

VOTE! And if you don't, please do not ever complain to me about anything political. If you don't participate in the process, you really have no ground to stand on to whine about things.

VOTE!!!

A NOTE FROM JESSISCA'S EDITOR: Jessisca will now step off of her soapbox. She promises to return to ordinary, non-ranting posts in the near future. She thanks you for your indulgence, and wishes you a Happy Midterm Elections Day. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now I sit happily in the bliss that is post-Nov.7th. Ahh, bliss. . .

Jessisca said...

Yes, bliss indeed. I'm so proud of America right now. It's so satisfying to see people act on their discontent instead of just complain.

Now if the Democrats can just manage NOT to screw this up....

But let's just enjoy the post-election glow for now.
:-)