I won't ask you to imagine me REALLY singing the blues because, well, that would just be a silly image. But the fact is, I have Turkey Letdown. I didn't want to come back from Wisconsin and return to normal life. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Thanksgiving was SO LOVELY! It was wonderful to hang out with R and M, family friend's of E's family since before E was even conceived. They are generous, delightful Wisconsonites whose warm hugs and comfortable home make you immediately feel welcomed and loved. Their two she-kitties, both Grand Dames in cat years but still loving life, are also joys. It was soooooo good to see E's folks, and to spend some time with the best sis-in-law in the world, Zauditu. I enjoyed getting to actually help with Thanksgiving cooking this year; I made the sweet potato dish from start to finish, and it turned out quite yummy, if I do say so myself. E made a fantastic apple pie. Mom and R were responsible for the majority of the rest of the meal, a massive stuffed turkey and its many accompanying dishes, yet another delectable Thanksgiving extravaganza. They've been doing this together for years, and their teamwork is seamless thanks to mind-reading and moving around the kitchen (and each other) with the grace of ballroom dancers. It's something to behold. M smoked a second, smaller turkey outside on his very manly grill, and it was really yummy too. There was lovely wine to accompany the feast. M blessed the meal in Hebrew, as is his custom, and E remarked to me afterwards that this traditional Hebrew blessing strikes a particular chord of familiarity and rightness for him, probably because he has heard it before so many Thanksgiving dinners in his life. Ancient words of blessing and thanks do seem to fit right in on a day devoted to celebrating the first and counting the second.
While Thanksgiving day was a treat, from the Macy's parade on TV to making food to eating to watching football, the other days away were also blessings. I could sleep as late as I wanted to; people move around R and M's home on their own clocks and calendars, and there is no set agenda. If I wanted to sit around and watch TV, I could. If I wanted to read, there was always a quiet nook for that. If I felt like a walk, I could go...the weather was absolutely perfect (sunny and in the 50s...Wisconin in late November?!), and many of us took a brisk stroll around the neighborhood together on Friday afternoon. I did a bit of work for church, but at a leisurely pace. I read my book. I slept and slept and slept some more. I ate and ate and ate some more. I wrote a card to mail to someone. I had lovely chats with just about everyone in the house. I played with the kitties. I DID NOT CHECK MY EMAIL! I felt truly relaxed. I had not realized how much I needed this break until I was luxuriating in it.
Boy, it was hard to come back, especially knowing that Christmas is coming fast. I can already feel it breathing down my neck...so much to do, so little time. And this is dress rehearsal week for one of the choirs I sing with...two rehearsals this week, and two concerts this weekend. Ack! Somehow, though, I have to find ways to keep a little bit of the Thanksgiving retreat in my daily living. I'm trying. Yesterday, I made myself take a walk, even though I was tired and had lots to do. And of the many things I saw on that walk, just a walk around my neighborhood, the most memorable one was a gorgeous late-autumn sunset, as if red and purple light had exploded through the clouds, using the whole sky to frame the fireball of the setting sun. Wow. I felt better after the walk, more energized and less grumpy. I think I need to walk again today, especially since the unseasonably warm weather is continuing (not for long, though...we may have snow on Friday). I need to walk off some of the turkey and pie, anyway. But I have absolutely no Thanksgiving regrets.
Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving retreat, wherever you took it. Try to keep a little of that restful time with you this week as you move back into routines and schedules and more to do than anyone can possibly manage. Relax your expectations a bit...don't try to do it all at once. And take some time out for a walk. It might be just the thing.
LOTR MINI UPDATE
I'm in Lorien with the Fellowship...they have just arrived there after the harrowing events of Moria. Hooray for Haldir...he is so cool in the book! I love his deep bow and sincere apology to Gimli for the way he initially treated him...so eloquent. I'm enjoying getting to know Galadriel and Celeborn in the book again, especially after becoming so used to them in the films. Celeborn's character, in particular, is fleshed out so much more in the book than in the films (thank goodness...the EE of the film helps a little, but still....). Meanwhile, Gimli has just begun to fall in love with Galadriel, and it is so adorable.
Is anyone else reading? Julia, where are you in the story? Big hobbit hugs to all!
2 comments:
OK, I should not confess this . . . but I will. I finished. I know, I know, I was much too hasty. But I got so wrapped up after all of these years. Enjoy your slow walk through Lorien. The yellow tinged sunsets of late remind me of the descriptions. Now I'm reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith and some more of LOTR's end matter. Thanks again for prompting me on my favorite fictional adventure! And keep me posted as to where you are. So much about the Ents I want to talk about.
Jess...? Are you there?? I miss you! Hope all is well.
KC
Post a Comment