Music of the moment: Ralph Vaughan Williams--Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis (sooooooooooo purty!)
Feeling of the moment: sweaty (yuck)
It's hot! And REALLY WINDY! What in the world is going on? It's not supposed to be 87 degrees in IL on October 2, is it? (Help me out here, other midwesterners...it's been 9 years since my last fall in the heartland). What happened to all that crisp, lovely weather of the last few weeks? You know, pleasantly warm afternoons with light, cool breezes, chilly nights, etc. I was just thinking the other day that it was time to pack up my summer clothes, take them out to our storage unit, and exchange them for long sleeves and jackets. Boy am I glad I didn't! I would be roasting right now if I didn't still have my sandals, sleeveless T's, and capris (or hobbit pants, as I prefer to call them) within reach. I'm so confused. And I miss fall. I want it back. It had barely begun, and I've been too busy to enjoy it much. And the last 4 years, I barely had it at all. In FL we had a brief spot of fall just before Christmas. Bizarre, strangely-timed, and MUCH too short. I was really digging fall, REAL FALL, not this left-over summer stuff overstepping its boundaries and taking over fall's calendar pages. UGH. And what's up with the wind?! It is blowing like crazy out there. The laundry I hung out to dry earlier is all twisted around itself, and sometimes appears to be suspended in mid-air as the wind holds it captive. Heat, and hot wind. It feels like Florida in a hurricane (without the water). But we're in IL! And it's OCTOBER!!!!!!!!! HUH???????
My beloved grandmother, Nana, always says "the Lord rules the weather." And I don't doubt it. So I'm wondering just what it is, exactly, that's going on. Is He taking a couple of days off? Is some novice weather handler at the controls, trying to figure out how things work? Or maybe summer pleaded with Him for "just one more warm day," and He decided to take pity on it just to shut it up. Who knows...with God, all things are possible. :-)
But here's what I'm really worried about. I'm worried that when it's 87 degrees in October, it's yet another sign (there are many) that all is not right with planet Earth. We humans have messed with many, many things, and I think that all of the weather madness of the last few years cannot be coincidental. More hurricanes, and stronger ones, less snow, melting polar ice caps, melting permafrost, rising ocean temperatures, more tornados, etc. It's not good. And this weird, hot, windy day is yet another reminder that things are kind of a mess out there. It makes me feel sad and worried, and it makes me feel like a loser because in spite of my concerns about global warming, I stilll drive a car every day. Maybe it's time to think about that. There's an awesome bus system here, and I'm not using it. It would even be marginally cheaper to take the bus rather than drive. But it would take longer, and I'd have to get up earlier. Sigh. I wish I didn't like to sleep so much. I think I need to take a deep breath, get over the sleep thing, get up a little earlier, and try bussing. I would feel better about myself, and hopefully, in some small way, be helping this problem of too many people messing with too much stuff and making us have 87 degree, windy, hot, WEIRD days in OCTOBER. :-(
Just to get things straight and out in the open, I realize that I'm a weirdo. I realize that a lot of folks are probably overjoyed by having so warm a day this late in the year. I've seen many people out and about today, obviously loving the weather, as I sweated in my car (if I'd been on a bike, or even on foot, I might have been enjoying the weather a great deal more. Hmmmm.). Good for them. And maybe this is perfectly normal for IL in early October. Since I'm new in these parts, I wouldn't know. But it seems kind of fishy to me. I say that the sooner fall is back in the swing, the better. Please come back soon!!!
LOTR UPDATE
I have just begun "The Shadow of the Past." In other words, my reading goes slowly. I cheered for Bilbo when he was able to let the Ring go and properly set out on his journey. I've seen Bilbo and his three dwarf friends take their leave of Bag End (I had forgotten about the dwarves since they aren't in the movie...how awesome and appropriate...I never did like the idea of Bilbo traveling alone as portrayed in the film), and joined Gandalf in his growing suspicion about the Ring. And now, with the beginnings of this new chapter, I'm finally spending some time with my dear Frodo and noting the beginning of his restlessness, his wanderlust, his need for adventures beyond the boundaries of the Shire, his desire to know what became of Bilbo. I am so enjoying getting to know this character again, and I love him immediately, as I did the first time. More soon as I read more. Please join me if you can.
No comments:
Post a Comment