Here are a few favorite memories from my recent trip to Michigan:
Sitting on the back porch swing, letting the breeze and the sounds of Lake Michigan’s waves surround me as I read, or just sat quietly.
Exploring Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore with Husband, and feeling so wonderfully small when overlooking the vast, sapphire-blue beauty of Lake Michigan.
Eating dried cherries every single day, some chocolate-covered, others just cherries.
Playing Carcassonne (terrific game!) with family every night, and watching everyone develop their strategies over a week’s time.
Sitting on the Lake Michigan beach saying goodnight to the sun as it slid slowly toward the water, setting the Lake and sand alight with so many indescribably beautiful colors. Allowing the rhythm of the waves, the late-sun and just-after-sunset colors of sea and sky, and the cool, Lake-damp air to surround me and center me in the moment. Feeling both ancient and very young, connected to all life and utterly, peacefully alone. Recharging my batteries.
Visiting The Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor, MI (“Life, Liberty, Beaches, and Pie”), and enjoying both its silliness and the many, many ways it offers to enjoy Michigan cherries.
http://www.cherryrepublic.com/
Sitting beside the Frankfort Pier one night with Husband, eating Moomers ice-cream (the BEST!) and watching the boats come in from Lake Michigan as the sun set. Feeling sand between my toes.
Taking a four-mile (round trip) beach walk with Husband to the Point Betsie lighthouse, looking for Petoskey stones (didn’t fine any this time), and feeling cold Lake water lap over my feet and legs. Watching tremendous waves crash against the Lake-side wall protecting the lighthouse; their force boggles the mind.
Husband and I (mostly husband…he’s good at beach fires!) cooking brots and roasting corn over a beach fire at sunset for In-Laws…yum! Coming inside to cherry pie and game-playing.
Having the perpetual, always-moving waves of the Lake be the last thing I heard before falling asleep, and the first thing I heard as I woke up.
Being in the Midwest again…soaking up the accents, the culture, the friendliness, the beauty of all the green grass and trees, and all that water!
So long, beautiful Michigan, until next year!
2 comments:
I'm glad you had a great time in Michigan. It's one of my favorite vacation spots as well. So relaxing!
Susie, I'm so glad you commented...I did not know that you had moved your blog over to wordpress, and I'm so happy to be keeping up with your writing again there. I read your post about your Michigan vacation. What a special place MI is! Glad you, W, and L got to go, too! Hugs to you all. :-)
Post a Comment