This past spring, I applied for a job as music director of a women's chorus in our new home town. I was one of two finalists, and the choir picked the other gal. My husband started calling me the "silver medalist" for that job; he was trying to remind me that making it so far in the job search process was an accomplishment in and of itself. And he's right. I can be proud that I was considered for a real, grown-up music director position. And silver is a very pretty color. But I still wish I had gotten the job. What medalist doesn't, at least on some level, want their medal to be gold?
Fast forward to now. I found out today that I was once again a silver medalist. I interviewed for a choir director position with a church last week. Apparently, there were 3 candidates, and they weeded out one, leaving me and the other person. And the other person got the job. Sigh. I'm sure he/she is going to be great. But darn it, I would have done a good job too! I'd like to know what is coloring me silver. Why am I good enough to consider but not good enough to hire? In each case, was it that intangible personality factor that made the winning candidates slightly better choices for each choir? Or do I have "silver medalist" written across my forehead when I walk into an interview? I think I'll be chewing on all this for a while. I want a job.
In other news, I have discovered that my new home has many lovely, funky, non-Starbucks coffee shops. Don't get me wrong...I actually like Starbucks. But a Starbucks on every corner pretty much shuts out anyone else who wants to open a coffee shop. This town has Starbucks, but it also has numerous other cool java spots. This makes me very happy. One of my favorite passtimes is sitting in a coffee shop writing, either in my journal of the moment or on notecards or stationery to send away to friends. Hanging out with pen, paper, and coffee at my own little table, tucked away, is heaven. I just need a job to pay for all the cups of joe I want to drink! Otherwise my friends won't hear from me via snail mail anymore. I like snail mail. I'm trying to keep it alive. When I get snail mail, it makes my day. Unless of course it's snail mail telling me that I'm, once again, a silver medalist.
6 comments:
Just so you know, I bought an espresso machine my first day back in town. So, yes, I'm jealous of your non-Starbucks life there. Unfortunately, the only coffee at the store I could find was Starbucks --- so really, I'm just saving them a cup. :) Oh well. Can't wait to hear about your adventures there. Miss the two of you now that I'm back in Tally. And you are gold; someone will recognize that soon.
all right jes! keep us up. i don't see the "type the wavey letters you see in this picture" protecting your comments though. i've heard some evil heckler stories so be aware.
as for coffee in tally, all saints is selling 2 pound bags over the counter $10 very yummy and fine for espresso if you grind it fine. no need to drink the 2 tail fish thing product.
we are back from albuquerque, the coffee shop i used to work in has become a monster of a local chain. still great food. artistic professionally designed super spiffy envornments, employees with benifits. but the low brow shops have their fan base too, and i generally feel more at home in them.
tally is still tally. as my poppop always says, "send photos".
k.
Hi! I'm so glad that you are in the blog-o-sphere, now. You probably know that I am Zauditu on LiveJournal.
YOu are Gold, and more - you are a diamond, ruby and sapphire all wrapped in a platinum band.
I miss you!
Hi, Jess. I enjoyed the blog...I'll be adding you to my own blogroll!! My mom, sage that she is, says that all things happen for a reason. Even if it's not entirely true, it helps me get through the tough times. Something's out there waiting just for you and your many gifts. And...I WILL be coming to Illinois someday...we learned that in fact D can handle the kids on his own for at least 4 days, so I'm SO there sometime soon.
Thinking about you!!
Kirsten
Hi, J-- As E will tell you, I hate job hunting, and on this last quest, I got a lot of silver medals (and my share of 'also ran's), so I can definitely sympathize with you. It will get better. As Kristen said, you're definitely gold medal--and the people who are picking someone else for their jobs are French judges.
What beautiful, encouraging friends I have (not that I didn't know that already). Wonderful to hear from all of you, and thank you for the kind reminders to keep my chin up. All of you are very shiny gold in my life, believe me!!!
kgh, thanks for the heads up on the wavy letters, which I have now added. Good call.
Post a Comment